Monday, March 23, 2009

Our Annual ER trip

(Audriana's little look she gives when she tries to make us laugh)


As I was waiting in the ER last night for 3 hours just for a doctor to come see us I had some time to think. We make annual ER trips.

June 2006: Experienced a miscarriage and had to go to the ER three times. One to check everything, send us home to say come back the next day when they can run the ultrasound. The next day to go in, see the heartbeat and them saying everything was just fine. And last to go in the same night to lose the precious little baby.

March 2007: Peyton's preemie problems and spent about 16 days in and out of the hospital until he was born then he spent his time.

April 2008: Peyton's 11 stitches in is cute little face. Had to go to the ER because our doctor couldn't do them, instant care didn't want to attempt it, and then off to Primary's (children's hospital) for him to be sedated and loads of stitches in his face :(!

And now, March 2009: Poor Audriana.

Last night Audriana experienced her first and hopefully last Nursemaid Elbow. Her poor little elbow bone popped out of her socket. I have never had a bone pop out, but I am told it is a pretty painful experience and it will be painful until it gets popped back in. Poor kid! (It's a very common thing too for babies and toddlers). When Peyton was Audriana's age his shoulder did it. Luckily playing with it popped it back in.

So my happy baby turned into the screaming total in pain child with a very non-movable arm...well I should say limp. Sunday night in IF doesn't really have much options in anything being open especially instant cares or doctors offices. So we had to go to the only other option available. The ER. So my poor girl had to be in pain for a few hours. Luckily we are in the age of tylenol and that helped her finally fall asleep. Probably from exhaustion from the screaming and pain together.

And we sat in the ER for 3 hours basically her elbow popped out for 4 hours!

And we saw the doctor for 1 minute. 1 minute for him to talk to her (he said he wanted to make friends with her first so she didn't hate him) and then to pop the bone back in place. And he was done! Poor girl screamed at him, gave him the sadest look of "why did you just do that to me" and then was fine and was able to hold her bottle and play again.

My poor girl! She is more susceptible to get this again now that it has done it once. Just hopefully it won't. I'll be interested to see the doctor bill just for him to pop it back in though! I already paid a few bucks just for being admitted and we have great insurance. Yuck, I hate medical payments! But you do what you have to do when your poor baby is in so much pain!

Who knew that Jordan almost 4 years old would be the last child to go to the ER?? (Although he was the cause of Peyton's stitches...)

5 comments:

Whitney said...

poor girl! i'm glad she's okay!

Adele said...

I popped my shoulder out several times when I was little. As I recall it was VERY painful! Poor little thing luckily it is a pretty easy thing to fix though. Glad to hear she's feeling better. :)

Camille said...

I am so sorry! That must have been aweful for everyone!! I hate how it is a one minute proceedure yet you have to wait 3 hours, and pay 100's of dollars! Crazy health care system!!

I say its time to break the tradition of ER visits!

Amber said...

Sorry to hear that. Logan has done that twice now, Saturday was his last episode. Luckily an Urgent Care was open so we didn't have to sit in an ER for hours like you did. Poor Audriana! No fun!!

Tami said...

That is so sad! It makes me feel so bad for her. She sounds like she was pretty brave for it being such a bad hurt. I am so glad she is better now. Yay!