Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bow Tutorials



Alright, I am not the best one for this, but I have a ton of people ask for a tutorial so here it is. A bow tutorial.

The pictures are pretty self explainitory, but I cut the ribbon between 5-6 inches depending on how big you want the bow to be. Then glue half of the ribbon to the middle and do the other side the same for all three. Glue on top of all three. This makes your bow.

I realize it should say step 4, but I don't want to fix it... the next one find what you want to put in the middle. This one I didn't have a button I liked so I put a folded ribbon on top. Next step cut your ribbon for your barrets. The barrets are bought at Sally Beauty Supply. If you go down to the next pictures you'll see the type of glue I use or you can use hot glue. My mother in-law showed me fabric tape that she was taught how to use. So it's a more preference thing probably!

Just put the glue on the ribbon fold, put the barret on top and fold over to glue in place. I go underneath the barret for the look of it. Some don't, more of preference thing and when you use in hair and not just headbands it could slide more.

Then glue the barret onto the flower/bow.

Here's a better one to show you how to the first steps if you didn't understand to make a straight flower bow instead of turning your ribbon.

You can see I just find whatever I have to put in the middle. My next blog post Audriana has pictures of her wearing this bow and the blue one pictured first.


Korker bows my mother in-law taught me after she was taught by a neighbor. I didn't want heat up the oven that night so I didn't make any, but to give you the general idea...
All you need to do is wrap your ribbon around a dowel that you can buy from micheal's craft stores, stick in the oven for 15 minutes around 225. Then unwravel and you have some fun curls.


Another bow that my mother in-law showed me was the regular bows. Again I didn't finish
because I couldn't find our white floss, but you get the general idea.
The cardboard has a cut if you look close. Then you start to wrap your ribbon around like the picture. End the ribbon on the other side. Take your floss or string, the floss is stronger though, and tie it in the middle. Pull the ribbon off the cardboard and you have your bow. Now you can add things to it or add your clip to it and your set!


And now your set! Easy Peasy Pie!!
I also wish I would have taken a picture of her cute bow holder I made. Maybe next time. I made a frame (remember mod podge mania back in March??) All I did was add 4 pieces of ribbon on to it and clipped on my bows to hang up for a fun bow holder for her room. I love it and her bows have a fun place to hang.
IMPORANT EDIT: I forgot to add an important step since I didn't take a picture I forgot. While doing all of your bows, remember to:
You have to burn the edges of your ribbon. The edges like where you cut the ribbon. Just take your lighter and lightly run it through the fire. Not so much it burns it brown, but so it burns off the threads so it doesn't start to unwind. Do this to all of your ribbon. An easy way to do it is cut all of your ribbon at the same time and then you can run them through the fire at the same time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've still never made the curly bows, and I need to try that last one too! Looks super easy! I need to make some for Hadlie before she get's here.. which could be any time so I better get busy! Thanks for the fun ideas!

Marla B said...

Sophie needs one cassie! JK-I just need to try & make my own. maybe with the girls new school clothes I can try & make some. Where did you get the ribbon? where is the best place?