I came to a realization today. Ok so maybe I knew the realization a long time ago.
3 years ago tomorrow my sweet sister in-law Natalia passed away. It was one of the hardest days in our lives. She had a blood disorder. Come to find out this disorder is a genetic disease and now it will affect my husband, relatives, and my children for the rest of their lives. So now that I blog and so many of you read this (at least in my mind you do, remember) that are related or if you have a history and could have this GENETIC disease I need to get on a soapbox because if I do maybe just maybe we won't have to live through another horrible ordeal.
Phil's other sister wrote a great post warning others about the birth control that Natalia was on so if you want to read that part go to her blog and read. BUT what really made me realize something is a few comments she recieved. So I hope this doesn't offend anyone I just really need to get this out there.
First, Natalia had a stroke when she was 23. It was a shocking experience we lived through and unfortunatly she passed away. Our doctor, also the doctor Natalia worked for, did a few tests on Phil's immediate family after. We learned that the Garner's have a genetic blood disease that clots blood faster and if you have this disease you shouldn't be on birth control (read the fine print). However the birth control company doesn't make people have this test because it is an expensive test. But like I said that is not the side of the story I am telling (go to Camille's blog for that story).
My children will most likely have this disease. And through the unfortunate experience we now know this and they will be tested, but we won't have to worry about it until they are teenagers. However I have learned through some other stuff that others do not know that if you aren't on birth control then you don't need this test. If your family (especially if you are a direct line of the Garner's) you NEED TO GET TESTED! Female or NOT!
Phil is a great example and maybe because of him I realize the effects of it all. Our doctor has told him time and time again he has to be on the blood thinner, which is aspirin. His blood clots more than others and I hate to say the name because I am not quite sure what Factor it is, but I think it is Factor 5 (someone correct me if I am wrong because I can never remember when doctors ask us history stuff). He will never be on birth control, however it is still something he needs to be on because it isn't just that.
Our doctor threatens Phil that he can NEVER ever skip a day of aspirin. So please if you are related or know of a history go get tested!
NEW UPDATE: MESSAGE FROM PHIL
It is factor 5, but there are many different forms. One makes you clot too fast, others can make it not clot fast enough. The important thing to relize is that it is an expensive test that not all insurances cover.
BUT, if you are a Garner or if you are taking any sort of medication that increases your risk for a stoke or a blod clot, I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING TESTED. An asprin is enough for me, but some may require a heavier medication.
Also, Asprin does eat away at your stomach linning so it should be up to you and your doctor to decide the risk/benifit ratio.
I hate that my sister had to die so that I could find out how to extend my life, but if anyone was ready to become a guardian angel and ascend into heavenly glory it was her, and for that I will always be grateful.
If you are wondering why we didn't know all this before, we probably should have. The Garner's have a long standing tradition of dying or suffering from strokes, but it has usually only effected the older ones, so we thought nothing of it. But with the medications, surguries and stresses of today, we have numerous factors that can lead to an accelrated risk or stroke.
We love and miss you Natalia.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Soap Box Time: PLEASE READ!!
Brought to you by Cassie on Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










4 comments:
Good Blog entry! It was very imformative..Thanks!
You are right Cassie. I always think of the female perspective, but it is just as important for males to get tested too.
Thanks for the information today Cassie. I'm glad that I posted on Camille's blog so that I could find this out. I will talk to all of my family as well.
Hey Cassie, I linked to your blog off facebook. I love it! So great. This post was so informative. I learned a lot. Thanks for posting.
Post a Comment