Friday, October 5, 2007

The talking 2 year old

Why is it that 2 year olds are smartallecs already? Half the time they don't even realize they are being one they just copy whatever they hear and can figure out the context of it fast. I ask Jordan a question, or more like a statement, and he tells me "In a minute!" So I say ok and give him a few more minutes. Then I ask him again, "Ready to get out of the bathtub" and my little fish responds, "In a minute!" Why is it they can figure out the the context of the phrase, but have no realization of time. Well I should take that back because my son knows that 1 minute is less than 5 minutes and if he wants to really stump me he says 5 minutes. "Well your 5 minutes is up so time to get out" and the response I get is "10 minutes!" It is not a winning arguement for me. This is not only for the bathtub, it is for bedtime, getting dressed, going out and anything else you can think of.

We read books at night and after a few I tell him no more and he says "1 more". Fine I give in and say 1 more, I even hold up one finger to say 1 more. "Ok 1 more" he holds up one finger to me. So we read one. Well why is it every night I think he will learn one more really does mean only one. I guess the joke is on me because after this book he tells me "nother one, Mommy" Of course I say no more that was the last one, "NO nother one!" I guess I should just be glad that my son has an enthusiam for books, but after a few books I need my own time. Guess I will get that in 18 years.

I have learned that I was excited for Jordan to talk. Yeah it is nice that he can tell me what he wants, but sometimes I don't want to do what he wants :). Now I just tell Peyton to stay my little baby, aren't they a lot easier when they don't talk. At least he doesn't wear me out yet with the talking and hearing that tiny voice from the backseat. "Where we going" (last time he did this was on the way to the softball game) To daddy's softball game I tell him. One minute later, I am sure if I timed it, it would be exactly 1 minute later, "Where we going" I tell him again to the softball game. This continues for the 20 minute drive. Oh and don't worry it will continue on the way back home, why would he want to give up the tradition, right?

Of course we still have to have the cute moments in with all the other talk he gives me ;). We have a DVD player in the car, which whoever invented that is a genius. I mean they probably got sick of hearing their kids ask where they were going every minute of the trip. We went to St. George on Saturday and Cars was played at least 5 times. Of course he now can repeat the whole show and I always know which part he is watching. When Lightning loses his tires in the race we hear from the back, "Oh no tires! MCQEEN!" Then when he is looking for Mack the truck that drives him around I hear the tiny (buy very loud voice) from the back, "MACK! MACK!" But the best one that he does and one he repeats through out the day even when Cars is not playing is "We got a nodder" and then I hear a laugh. That is when I know the next part is coming, "MOMMY, MOMMY" I have to look at him or else the MOMMY MOMMY will continue. What, I ask and he replies "We got a nodder" and then the laugh follows. When you see him just remind him of the nodder and you will get a laugh.

0 comments: