Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My baby is growing up

I know Jordan isn't so much a baby anymore, but my big kid, although no matter how old they get I think they will all be babies.

So Jordan is a very motivated kid when it comes down to something he really wants and we have found that he LOVES money! For months we would try to potty train and he just wouldn't do it so we would stop because I kept hearing how kids just train on their own when they are ready. So we waited and I was skeptical. To my suprise one day he really just did wake up and say ok I am ready. So it does happen! Anyway you are probably wondering what this has to do with money. Well some parents give their kids candy for having a great potty day, but we have found that Jordan was way more motivated to do this when we started giving him money every day he went with no accidents.

He is so cute, he goes in and says I need to count my money. He grabs his little bank and brings it in to count it. Mostly his obessession with money has to do with the fact that he gets to buy a new train each time he has enough. So if you are a devoted blog reader you know that Jordan LOVES his trains and his Thomas movies. Actually I am very glad because I would much rather him watch this then want to watch Spiderman or Iron Man where there are scenes that 3 year olds don't need to be objected to so no matter how much Thomas we have to watch or listen to in the car it could be worse!

Back to the money. He knows he has to save and save for his trains. So when we are in the store he will ask for some toy and I will ask him if he would rather use his money for that toy or for a new train. He says a train and moves on, I love it because we have no fits in the store because he doesn't get what he wants. So money is good for us too and he is learning very young!

Saturday I told him he had enough money that he could buy another train. Phil has recently upgraded his wallet of 15 years and gave Jordan his old wallet. So we took all of his change and counted it out and went and traded for dollars for an easier way to carry it in the wallet. He had 12 dollars! The proud little, I mean big kid! We went to eat lunch before and he got his wallet out to give the man a dollar to pay for his sandwich. He wouldn't put it away and he needed to pay for lunch! Of course I put the dollar back in his wallet so he had enough for his train, but it was cute that he wanted to use his own money for his lunch! We made it to Toys R Us and he very carefully looks at all the trains. He picks one train, but I have noticed he is very smart. Whenever he gets to pick out trains he always looks at the ones that have more than one in them and the last few trains he has bought are the ones that have extra cars on them. I have also noticed that he doesn't care for any other toys because he knows that he gets to pick one train with his money.

So Thomas trains and potty training are probably going to make us go broke, but Jordan is just such a proud big kid when it comes to using his own money!

0 comments: