Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What Happens In Vegas Gets Blogged

Phil and I went to Las Vegas and Mesquite over the weekend. We had lots of fun and some new experiences! Saturday we got to hang out in Mesquite all day and along with the nice 70 degree weather we had lots of fun. The boys spent half the weekend in Wyoming and then came back to the warmer weather on Sunday.


Sunday we HAD to go to the NASCAR races. Now neither one of us are fans at all... But the whole point of the weekend was for the races with Phil's work and some customers so off we go. We got to go onto the track and to the pit side where they had all the tires. We also were misdirected on how to get to the pits so we walked way more than we had to! In Phil's words,"The pit to NASCAR fans is like if I got to go on the football field right before a superbowl." Cool for them, not so much us.


We did get to go to the hospitality tents where if we were interested enough to get up at 4 AM we could have met some of the drivers, but we really weren't so we got there at 9 for snacks, lunch and the exploration of the pit.


So I decided 1 hour of races would have been great, but no it was 3 hours and way too long to watch cars go round and round the track. The start and restarts were fun and very loud. The crashes were something to see in person too, we did leave 10 laps early and missed the big Jeff Gordon wreck. The people were interesting to watch, especially the die hard NASCAR fans in their racing jackets...oh and the drunk people, there were a few funny ones! Here are some pictures from the races.


And their off:



The planes gave us a show at the beginning:


The Home Depot car was out within the first hour, not looking good for those fans.


My favorite car and who we decided to cheer for, can you guess why. I don't care who is driving, I just went by the sponsers!



Jeff Gordon's car, obviously not the one he raced with!




The whole thing reminded me of the movie Cars. "You will have your chance Guido."


We even saw someone turning hard enough right to turn left!



LAS VEGAS

Monday we went back to Vegas after we checked out of the CasaBlanca in Mesquite. We decided to do some touring. We did even more walking than Sunday. We rode in a taxi at one point because frankly I wanted a break! We got to see lots of stuff, but I think next time we will plan better and figure out what casinos we actually wanted to go to.

Here's what we did get to see:

Coca Cola World. I did get another coke bottle for my collection too.



View of Las Vegas.


Paris... We didn't go up because they said that it is better at night to see. So we just looked.


Red and yellow at m&m world.



The wall of m&m's.


The fountains, these were pretty neat.



How would you like to have this guys job?? Seriously he probably makes a lot in tips alone, but I wonder if it is worth it. We had to double take and see if he was a real person or not too. Moved just like a robot.
See the other pictures here:

2 comments:

Camille said...

Sound like you guys had an awesome weekend. I agree with you on the car choice you choose to root for! I absolutly love your "fly by" picture! That is one to market and sell!

Kristy & Miguel said...

oh sounds like a very fun weekend! I love vegas and I'm jelous you got to be in the warm weather! Lucky!