Thursday, December 6, 2007

Miracles

I just wanted to write because we were able to witness a miracle and an awesome Christmas present for my Uncle.

We have been on one side of the track for a long time after Natalia died. It was a horrible time in all our lives. To know of her donation of organs is one thing, but I think I have a greater respect for her and for all those that have checked yes on their drivers license to donate. My Uncle, Chris, was able to receive a liver yesterday after many years of being sick. It was a very emotional day for everyone in his family. Up and down wondering if they were getting the liver because of the bad weather and if it was going to be a good one for him. We were able to go to the hospital last night and wait while he was in surgery for 11 hours.

I am sad for the family that is on the other side because we have been there. I don't know any of the details of the donor, but death is always heartache, nothing can bring that person back to them and nothing can bring Natalia back to us. But the fact that we witnessed the miracle of donation and saving a life, makes me feel like a part of her is alive. Who knows what she has done for other people's lives. She will always be an inspiration for me. Yes I have always checked yes to the organ donation on my drivers license, but I will now check yes with knowing that one day I hope I can save a life.

They are the heroes.

2 comments:

Camille said...

I am so happy for your uncle. Thanks for sharing that, even though it made me teary.

whitney.evan said...

thanks for that post cassie. even though i wasn't there i felt close to everyone, and i am so grateful for the things i am learning from this experience. i am so grateful for our family! and yes, i am a donor too! love you!